The official hub for news and stories from Colorado Mesa University
CMU Student Representing Team USA at the 2024 Summer Olympics

Olivia Cummins selected for Olympic Games

Colorado Mesa cyclist Olivia Cummins has been selected to represent Team USA in the 2024 Paris Olympics as announced by USA Cycling on Thursday (June 13) morning.

The Fort Collins, Colo. native will compete in Track Cycling Team Pursuit event that will take place at the Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines Velodrome in Versailles, France. Team Pursuit is scheduled to begin on Wednesday August 7 and broadcast on Peacock and E! at approximately 10:20am.

Olivia has raced in Europe both on the road and track and was able to participate in the 2021 UCI Junior Road World Championships in Belgium where she placed 8th in the Time Trial and 24th in the Road Race while working for her teammate Kaia Schmid. Recently, she raced at her first Redlands Bicycle Classic and was able to podium in 2 of the stages, the time trial and criterium, as well as win the green points leader jersey.

"I still don't know how to put into words what making this Olympic team means to me. The Olympics were never something I ever thought I would be able to achieve, so, it was never a big dream of mine growing up. It was something the famous, professional athletes did, not me. That is, until about a year ago when I found myself in a position where making this team became a possibility. I made the Olympics my dream a year ago, I committed fully to it, made sacrifices, and I made it happen. I can't wait to see this dream through this August in Paris!" Cummins said in a release by USA Cycling.

In October of 2023, Cummins helped lead the Maverick Women's Team Pursuit squad to Gold at the USA Cycling Collegiate Track National Championships in Trexlertown, Pa.

Cummins is believed to be the first Colorado Mesa active student-athlete to compete in an Olympic Games. She has a 3.97 GPA and is scheduled to graduate in the Spring of 2025 with a degree in Psychology.

Categories:

Written by Dave Jahnke