The official hub for news and stories from Colorado Mesa University
Tuning Hearts and Minds

Julene Hardy Wilcock, '91

Julene Hardy Wilcock is a multifaceted educator and performing arts enthusiast whose career began with a bachelor’s in musical theatre in 1991 from CMU. During her undergraduate years, she graced the stage in over 20 plays, including iconic productions like Fiddler on the Roof and Gypsy.

“I loved making friendships that helped me define who I am today,” Wilcock said on her theatre experience. “I learned leadership skills that I use daily in my work life.”

Following her passion, she pursued a master’s in theatre directing from the University of Idaho, concurrently obtaining her teaching credential. For 16 years, Wilcock dedicated herself to teaching middle school — shaping young minds and fostering a love for the arts.

After taking a brief hiatus to spend quality time with her newborn, Wilcock now resides in Gilbert, Arizona, where she serves as the K-6 general music teacher at Finley Farms Elementary School.

“If I won the lottery, I would continue to work here,” she said. “There is so much variety, from auditioning first graders for singing parts, teaching third and fourth graders to play the ukulele, having fifth and sixth graders code robots to dance to a song, to dancing with ribbons with kindergartners.”

Last year, Wilcock was among the 500 teachers in Arizona awarded $2,500 grants through the Palo Verde Fiesta Bowl Charities Wishes for Teachers program, proving her dedication to enriching the educational experience.

Beyond her work, she actively contributes to her church, serving in various capacities, including youth primary president, youth chorister and her current role as a counselor in the church’s women’s organization. Additionally, she plays the piano for the church choir, where her husband serves as the director.

Married to Jeff, a native Arizonan and chiropractor at a Spanish-speaking clinic, Wilcock is also a proud mother. Her 12-year-old son, inspired by her passion, recently embarked on his own theatrical journey, auditioning for his first play. 

Categories:

Written by Laura Bradley